Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Resolutions

I had originally planned to complete and post this blog entry prior to the start of 2012, but things got a little crazy.  Plus, I have a lot of resolutions/goals for the new year, so it took some time to put them all together and get them down on this post.  After thinking about this, I really think this is more a list of goals for 2012 as opposed to resolutions, but I do believe they will result in positive behavior changes which is ultimately the goal of most New Year Resolutions.  I have broken down the list into categories, so that I could more easily identify the areas that needed improvement.  Enjoy my lengthy and somewhat detailed Goals/Resolutions for 2012!

Finances
  • Create and stick with a monthly budget
    • We have created a budget, but we need to work on actually sticking to it and maybe we can work on tightening it up a little bit more so that we can save more
  • Save enough money to have at least one month of my salary in savings
    • Eventually I would like to increase this goal to 2 months of both of our salary combined, but I want to start small and get big
House
  • Design and complete decoration of at least 3 rooms in the house
    • Cannot include the home office but can include the basement playroom
  • Complete a design for the eventual kitchen renovation
  • Price out and compare refurnishing of hardwood floors versus new floors for entire first floor
    • The floors desperately need to be redone, but I would prefer to put wood floors throughout the entire first floor which is why I am including the comparison in there.
Arts & Crafts
  • Create and live within a crafting budget
    • I realize this is part of the Finances, but I think it is important to be realistic with how much I like to craft and how much I should/can be spending on this hobby
  • Complete at least 3 blankets
    • I already have 3 in mind, so I think this is a feasible goal for the entire year of 2012
Career
  • Organize my emails
    • I experienced some extreme technical issues with my email in June of this past year that resulted in the loss of all of my personal folders and email archives at work.  It has been really hard to come back from this and start a new organization system.  I am the type of person who prefers to keep only open issues in my email inbox, but I currently have over 9,000 emails that need to be filed.  I would really like to make this a goal before the end of January!
  • Work to maintain a positive attitude at all times
    • While every job has its ups and downs, I have always prided myself on being an incredibly positive person.  I have found myself becoming more and more negative over the past couple of months and to be honest, it makes me like myself less.  I need to work on maintaining a positive attitude, even when I don't like the way things are going. 
Personal
  • Go on a date with Matthew (without the kids) at least once a month
    • It's hard to imagine, but I am more in love with my husband today than the day we got married.  He is an amazing father and I am lucky to have him as my partner.  We took our first trip together since our honeymoon this past December and it was perfect.  I really enjoy spending time with Matt and I really believe that getting to spend time alone together, even if it is just a lunch date, is important to keeping us sane!  Thanks to my parents, I also strongly believe the best gift we can give to our children is to show them and teach them how to be in a happy and healthy relationship. 
  • Eat healthier
    • This is really a goal for the entire family.  We need to be better about eating vegetables.  We do a pretty good job with protein and fruits, but vegetables is a weak spot for us.
  • Reach and maintain a weight of 145 or less.
    • I considered not including an actual weight in this post, but I want to be honest with myself and anyone who cares to read this blog.  Weight has always been a struggle for me.  I love food and I really do not like working out, which together leads to a larger and more unhappy me.  I don't need to be thin, I just want to be healthy and happy with my body and my weight. 
  • Run a 5K
    • This has been a personal goal of mine for awhile and I have decided that 2012 is the year that this will be accomplished.  I WILL sign up for a 5K to be completed in the fall.  If you know of a good one and/or want to join me, please let me know!
  • Love Like Don't Hate Running
    • I feel like running is the most efficient way to stay in shape and feel good about my body.  I have never really enjoyed this sport, but I am determined to keep at it (or attempt it) and appreciate it at least for what it can do for me and my health!
I am sure there are plenty of goals/resolutions I am forgetting, but this is a pretty good start.  I know the list may seem long and even unattainable to some, but I am bound and determined to make 2012 a great year.  2010 was an amazing year with the birth of Morgan and 2011 was ok with my hormones on a crazy roller coaster, but 2012 will be a great year for me and my growing family!

1 comment:

  1. Lori, if you ever need/want a running partner, I'd be more than happy to help!! 5K's are one of my favorite runs, so I'd love to do one with you.

    ReplyDelete